A second funeral in one week

After the disappointing funeral I attended on Wednesday, I didn’t have the heart to go to another one on Friday. Besides, it was Ladies Who Lunch, and I would much prefer spending my time with these delightfully alive women sitting around a table with good food and conversation than sitting in a mausoleum where this former teacher’s service would be held. Funny thing, though, two of the Ladies Who Lunch also knew the deceased and decided to forego lunch for the funeral service.

I  could have done both lunch and funeral since we met early for lunch so as to beat the heavy lunch crowd of working people. The place we had chosen is  situated in a large tech hub and seating is at a premium. We got there early enough to commandeer a major part of the communal dining table. The daughter of one of the retired teachers has just moved back to Fresno to start a job with Fresno State University and to relocate her craft business. It was so much fun to catch up with her and hear her plans for her big shift.

Because the cafe where we ate is a favorite of mine and Terry’s, I took a sandwich home to him. Another reason I decided to forego the funeral. When I left downtown Fresno at 1:20 it was 100 degrees. I wasn’t about to let his sandwich sit in a hot car for a few hours. Besides, it was 100 degrees. Why are people having these services in the afternoon during these scorching days? I really prefer to be home, sitting in my air conditioned house, not trying to navigate sizzling streets with a bunch of hot, irritable drivers, when the temperatures are over 100. I drove home, in my air conditioned car, to my air conditioned house, and spent the rest of the day reading.

I heard from one of the other teachers who did attend the funeral and she said she had a nice time because so many of the former teachers from that high school where we all worked for so many years were in attendance. She said it was a big reunion. That was nice to hear. However, I wanted to know more about the actual service. The one I attended on Wednesday had many old, familiar faces, but I was so depressed by the time I finished listening to two long, boring sermons, that I wasn’t in much of a mood to stand around and chat.



7 responses to “A second funeral in one week

  1. So sad these funerals

    • The fellow to whose funeral I didn’t attend died a couple of weeks ago, at age 87, after being ill for about 6 months. Last year, though, he was able to go on an Honor Flight. That’s where veteran’s of various wars are flown to Washington DC to see the various memorials for the wars in which the fought. I was glad that he got to do that.

  2. No sermons at my funeral, a few choice Bible verses I have chosen and a lot of singing. LOL

    • yeah, I’m not advocating for a sermon, but rather stories, lots of stories. I too have a playlist of songs, too, that I’ve compiled for the service.

  3. When my sister and I wove cloth to make into clothing, our sewer was a tiny little thing. We needed a sewer one fall, and a sewing shop gave me her name. I called and she was very interested and very hesitant. Would I please call her back after the first of the year if still interested. I loved her little voice. I called back in January.
    Linda came to work for us. She had waited to have her chest catheter removed to see if she had the stamina and will. It was her second round of therapy for breast cancer. She had two boys in middle grades. Her goal was to see them through high school.
    Her husband managed a family grocery store. There was not a lot of money. Every penny Linda earned went for her boys. I remember her buying them a Dell computer in the nineties, with internet. To make the surprise complete, Linda set up the computer entirely in secret. The internet was a little tricky. She called the help line. At one point the fellow said, “Click on My Computer.” No answer. He repeated. Linda’s little voice said, “But your computer is in California and I’m in Ohio!”
    Linda put her little body through chemo one more time in the three years she worked for us. I visited her in the hospital, the day before she died. She was alive as could be, and brushed aside her family to greet me. I didn’t know she was dying until that night, when she floated over my bed and said goodbye.
    I knew her sewing from our other sewers. At a show, a woman handed me what I knew was the last jacket Linda had sewn. I started to cry, and asked my helper to find another in that size. Ann said that was the last one. I told about Linda. My customer was crying. She said she was a breast cancer survivor and her name was Linda. I sold it to her.
    Linda’s funeral was a room full of people from her costume designing days, too. A kilted piper walked the hall during the service, very softly playing ‘Women of Ireland.” When the service ended, he literally burst into ‘The Campbell’s are Coming!”
    Linda Campbell’s funeral service was my most memorable. So was Linda Loveless Campbell.

  4. Two funerals in one week? So sad.
    Good call on not leaving Terry’s sandwich in the car. You would have given him a little more than a tasty sandwich. It’s been hot here, too.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.